A cosmetic procedure commonly done here at our Miami plastic surgery practice is the facelift. The procedure requires a series of preparations in order to produce the best results possible. Prior to any surgery, certain instructions should be followed to avoid any complications or unwanted side effects from arising. Here’s an overview on what to expect before a facelift and the things you should prepare for.
Consulting your doctor
Before undergoing a facelift, your doctor has to assess and evaluate you to determine if you are fit for the procedure. During your initial consultation, he will check your medical history for certain conditions that can interfere with the effectiveness of the surgery. If you have any of the following conditions, you might want to give facelift a second thought:
- Hypertension. This can cause serious effects especially if it is not controlled.
- Smoking. The wound healing process for smokers is longer than usual. Because of this, you may be advised to stop smoking for a couple of weeks prior to your surgery.
- History of any scarring problems, which may include kypertrophic or keloid scars.
- Bleeding problems or problems with blood clotting.
Tips on preparing for a facelift
To have a smooth-sailing surgery, follow these useful tips:
- Plan for someone to drive you home after surgery. You may still not be able to drive yourself home due to the effects of anesthesia.
- Find someone who can stay with you at home for the first couple of days after the operation. If you live alone, however, you can also stay at an aftercare facility right after your facelift surgery.
- Wear a front-opening blouse or shirt the day of the procedure to avoid the hassle of having to pull your clothing over the head.
- It may be helpful to have longer hair during the procedure. Having longer hair can hide post-surgery scars more easily while they are still healing.
For more information on preparing for a facelift and to answer any questions you have about the procedure, request an appointment with Dr. Serure today by calling (305) 669-0184. We look forward to hearing from you!