The women who visit our South Miami plastic surgery office for breast augmentation are quite diverse. Many of our patients are health-conscious individuals who maintain an active lifestyle that includes routine workouts. If we’ve learned anything in our years of practice, it’s that the person who works out regularly can get a little antsy when it comes to taking time off for recovery. One of the messages we have for patients is that proper rest is vital to the final outcome, and to their overall satisfaction with their procedure. Here, we will discuss some Dos and Don’ts related to the post-augmentation workout.
Do . . .
- Commit to strict follow-through with post-op instructions. This means resisting the urge to sneak in a quick session of floor exercises, or a short jog around the neighborhood. Regardless of how good you may be feeling, working out before you are cleared to do so could lead to unwanted side effects.
- Get in tune with your body. According to research, better attunement with one’s body is actually a natural byproduct of cosmetic surgery. In this scenario, it pays to really listen to what your body is saying when you do jump back into an exercise routine. In many cases, dialing it back a bit leads to the greatest rewards.
- Returning to any workout after surgery will take time. The body needsrest to recover fully. This isn’t the time to grin and bear it. It’s not the time for the mantra “no pain, no gain.” Post-surgical patients are encouraged to give themselves a rest day – or two – in between workout sessions.
Don’t . . .
- Become alarmed by your lack of stamina or strength after surgery. Remember that healing takes time, and that means you need to trust in the process, and in your ability to return to your peak performance in your own time.
- Stress the upper body! The muscles in the chest and arms are directly affected by breast augmentation surgery. In time, you will get back to those curls and fly’s, but not right away. Your surgeon, who is well-versed in the nuances of your case, will clear you for upper body workouts in the appropriate time.
- Underestimate the power of a good sports bra following surgery. Larger breasts mean heavier breasts, so your need for support will be heightened from here on out. Stability of breast tissue is vital for comfort and for healing.
Is it time to discuss breast augmentation in detail? Contact our South Miami office at 305-669-0184.